Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Backyard Bandits

I found this dandilion head in my backyard today having somehow survived yesterday's mowing and the wind with all seeds intact. The head of the flower must have been cut off and then puffed out into this overnight. I thought that I'd take the opportunity to photograph it in a controlled environment and prevent the seeds from spreading out over my already over-run backyard lawn. I was happy with how the photos turned out so I thought that I'd share the best of them with everyone.

All images were shot with my Canon Rebel XTi/400D

EF 17-40mm f/4L @ 40mm, aperture f4, ISO 400, shutter 1/60 second

EF 50mm f/1.8 II, aperture f/5, ISO 100, shutter 1/2 second

EF 50mm f/1.8 II, aperture f/1.8, ISO 100, shutter 1/15 second

EF 50mm f/1.8 II, aperture f/5, ISO 100, shutter 1/30 second

EF 50mm f/1.8 II, aperture f/5, ISO 100, shutter 1/30 second

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool pics! Good luck on not having it's friends reseed. I hate weeds.

veevs said...

i like the last one. the seed that dropped off made it something a little different. good schtuff.

Richard said...

great photos, darrell. grandpa crosby would be proud. the black background is my favorite, as if it were somehow shot in a labratory under a microscope. was there much manipulation, photoshop, etc.? your talent and varied interests never cease to amaze me.

thefilminator said...

I placed it on a black foam art board and used natural light while photographing it. I then opened the RAW files in Apple's Aperture application to make my adjustments to the images. I manipulated the exposure levels, contrast, color balance, and saturation levels. I probably took around a half hour to take and adjust the photographs.